REDWATER PUBLIC LIBRARY
The oil boom in Redwater in the late 1940's accompanied a large influx of people creating a demand for a variety of new services, including a public library to provide reading material for both the public and rapidly expanding school system.
The library was not immediately born. An official application for a designation as an Associate Public Library had to be filed under the Public Libraries Act to the Alberta Government. This was initiated at an organizational meeting held on March 2, 1953 with Mrs. D.C. Wetterberg as secretary and application papers supplied by Mrs. A. Gordon.
Money was an essential requirement of operating the newly formed public institution and the Lion's Club offered $300.00 each year for the first three years and the Women's Institute of Redwater offered to match the donation dollar for dollar. In addition, the town, county and provincial grants helped the library establish its financial footing.
On behalf of the town, Mr. Lesnik, offered a room, shelves, reading table and six chairs in the town hall. On March 16, 1953 a Library Board was formed along with a Book Committee, and a Technical and Administrative committee. Many key people in the community were involved with setting the groundwork for the public library including countless volunteer hours.
Later in 1953, Hon. A.J. Hook made the formal designation of Associate Public Library under the Library Act official. Thus, the Redwater Municipal Library was officially born. By 1960, Imperial Oil donated an old office building which was moved into town and renovated.
Today, the Redwater Public Library is located on the corner of 48 Street & 49 Avenue in the Town Administrative Complex and serves approximately 2100 people in the Town of Redwater; including customers in surrounding hamlets, farms, acreages, and adjacent towns. With continued support from the Town of Redwater, the Alberta Provincial Government, NLLS (Northern Lights Library System), Sturgeon County, the Friends of the Redwater Public Library, Federal Employment programs, corporate sponsors and many volunteers, Redwater Public Library provides excellent library service to the community.
The Redwater Public Library is a member of the Northern Lights Library System, serving the residents of the Town of Redwater, Sturgeon County and the surrounding area. Our TRAC card gives a member access to the collections of over 170 libraries in Alberta!